In Syria’s northwestern province of Idlib, residents are trying to cope with a new kind of food crisis, where the government has banned food for a third straight year.
On Sunday, the official Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the governor of Idlib province, Suleiman Al-Saleh, said that the government had banned the sale of any food items to the public in the province.
Al-Sallam also said that he was in charge of ensuring that the food distribution system works in all districts in the Idlib province.
In addition, the governor said that a large number of residents in the city of Idlib had already been warned by the governor’s office that they would be able to buy and consume food products from the markets on Sunday, but that there were some shortages.
According to SANA, the Ministry of Agriculture and Food has reported that a total of 4 million tons of produce have been confiscated by the state since the beginning of the government’s crackdown on the opposition in late August, with some of it still on shelves.
Food shortages have been common in Idlib, where most of the population relies on their own meager resources for food.
On Sunday, SANA reported that more than 2 million people had to go hungry after the government announced it would allow people to buy up to 50 tons of corn from the market.
The government has also issued orders to close bakeries, bakeries that sell meat and dairy products, and bakeries selling vegetables.
Al-Shams reported from the Turkish border city of Kilis, which has been hit particularly hard by the war in Syria.